1.jpg

2.jpg

Jessie: It's almost been a year since I came to Korea to study.

Su-hyeon: Time flies. It's already that time of year when the weather gets quite cold.

Pedro: This time of year is known as kimjangcheol in Korea, right?

Su-hyeon: That's right. My mom, grandma and aunts used to gather for kimjang (making and sharing kimchi) around this time of year. We all gathered to make kimchi when I was young, but nowadays, we often just buy it instead of making it. The trend has changed.

Pedro: I think kimjang culture is unique and interesting. It's also interesting that Korea has refrigerators specifically to store and preserve kimchi.

Su-hyeon: Yes, so UNESCO in 2013 included kimjang on its list of Intangible Cultural Heritage.

Jessie: What's the difference between kimjang kimchi and regular kimchi?

Pedro: In the past, Koreans made a lot of kimchi in early winter and preserved it given how hard it was to get fresh vegetables in winter. Nowadays, fresh vegetables are available year-round thanks to greenhouses, but we still have the custom of kimjang in winter. And kimjang kimchi is especially delicious (smiles).

Su-hyeon: We still do kimjang at our house. Our relatives don't come to do it with us, though, so it's just me and my parents. The three of us make kimchi together.

Pedro: Wow, that is so cool. Can I come over and help you make kimchi?

Jessie: Me, too. I want to see how kimjang is done.

Su-hyeon: Sure, both of you can come. Let's gather, make kimchi and have a chit-chat to wrap up the year.

3.jpg

Su-hyeon's mother: Hello and welcome. I think our kimjang will get done quickly since we'll have many people working on it (smiles). After we finish, please help yourselves to the newly made kimchi and bossam (boiled pork slices).

Pedro: OK. That's exactly what we want (laughs).

Jessie: Wow, bossam?

Su-hyeon: In Korea, we often steamed pork on the spot as we make kimchi and eat the pork with the newly made kimchi.

Pedro: It simply tastes awesome.

Su-hyeon's father: Our family always puts raw oysters in our kimchi when we do kimjang. Why don't you try it later?

Pedro: Oyster kimchi is a delicacy you can eat only with kimjang kimchi.

Su-hyeonKimjang kimchi differs by region. The ingredients each area puts into kimchi can vary such as raw shrimp, pollack, raw cutlassfish or raw octopus. They use less red pepper powder in the cold northern region. Baekkimchi (white kimchi made without red pepper powder) and dongchimi (radish kimchi fermented in water-based brine) are popular there. Kimchi in the Jeolla-do and Gyeongsang-do provinces often have more red pepper powder and thus their kimchi is generally spicier and saltier. Jeotgal (salted seafood) is more common in these regions, too.

Jessie: This is exciting. What shall I do first?

Su-hyeon's mother: I put the cabbage in salt last night and prepared the spices. Let's mix the spices with the cabbage and make kimchi.

4.jpg

Jessie: It's really interesting that each region has its own kimjang culture. I've learned so much about Korea from you guys.

Su-hyeon: I wanted to help you as much as possible while you're in Korea, just like the title of our series (smiles).

Jessie: You've been very helpful. You've helped me with basic things such as getting mobile phone service, opening a bank account, renting a car and getting a driver's license. All the information you've given me has made my life in Korea easier.

Pedro: The advice you gave on what to do in case of emergency has also been very useful. We're usually fine, but it's natural for us to panic and get lost in case of emergency.

Jessie: I've also found minor details interesting. Learning in Episode 6 about what to do and wear at funerals and weddings taught me about real Korean culture (not law or policy). In that respect, I really liked Episode 7 on table manners, too.

Pedro: My friends liked Episode 8 the most, the episode with tips for international students seeking jobs in Korea. My friends say it helped them better understand visa issues.

Su-hyeon: I found Episode 9 on seshin and bathhouse culture the most memorable. It's quite unique. I had so much fun explaining Korean bathhouse culture.

5.jpg

Su-hyeon's mother: The bossam is ready. You should all come and try it.

Pedro: Watch and eat as I do. Put one slice of bossam and kimjang kimchi with raw oyster inside a salted cabbage, roll the cabbage and eat it.

Jessie: Wow, it's delicious. I think eating warm white rice with kimchi will be really tasty, too.

Su-hyeon: It's so nice to have everyone gather, make kimchi and eat together.

Jessie: I've had so much fun hanging out with all of you over the past year.

Pedro: Me, too. I'm so lucky to have met you guys.

Korea.net