On the first Thursday of September, I had a very quick visit to the most beautiful overpass in Seoul, Seoullo 7017.  If you wonder what the numbers mean, "70" stands for the year the former traffic overpass was first constructed (1970), and "17" has quite a few meanings.

The 1-km former traffic overpass was constructed in 1970 and was turned into a garden-inspired pedestrian overpass in 2017, giving Seoul a whole new walking experience. After three years of planning, reconstruction and preparation, it was opened to public on May 20, 2017. It's divided into 17 sections and stands 17 meters above the ground.  Those are, so they say, the meanings behind the "70" and "17" in its official name.

Different plants are found throughout the entire span of Seoullo 7017. I must say that it was a very unique experience to walk along the lush green skygarden. The plants created a relaxing atmosphere and somehow made the passersby's gait slow as they looked at the varieties of trees, flowers and shrubs.

These beautiful flowers are truly eye-catching.

Aside from the gardens, there are also different facilities to enjoy along the Seoullo 7017 linear park, such as cafes, stages, fountains, a trampoline and much more.

You can take a peek at a "peeping pot." Inside, there are some computer-generated videos.

You can also try every kid's favorite jumping device: a trampoline.

There are benches near the fountain on which you can sit if ever you need to take a rest while listening to the calming sound of the water.

How about checking the traffic below through this glass hole in the ground? 

When it rains or when you feel that it's too hot to walk, don't hesitate to borrow one of the free green umbrellas at the park.

Seoullo 7017 also offers free walking tours, but make sure to secure a reservation first. Click here for reservations.

It was a pity that I could only stay just a few minutes in the Seoullo 7017 walkway. As short as it was, though, I still enjoyed every second I spent there. I would definitely visit again and hopefully at that time, I can experience one of the linear park's walking tours. For me, it was really amazing how they transformed an old traffic overpass into a wonderful skygarden full of beautiful plants and fun facilities. It truly changed walking along an overpass into a whole new experience.

To get there, take Subway line No. 1 or 4 and get off at Seoul Station, then head out Exit No. 2.

For more information, please visit the English website here.