White_House_Letter_Cancellation_01.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump releases on May 24 a letter in which he claims he will cancel the planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that was scheduled for June 12 in Singapore. (Twitter)

President Moon Jae-in has expressed his deep regrets over U.S. President Donald Trump’s apparent cancellation on May 24 of a planned summit with North Korea scheduled for June 12 in Singapore. 

“I feel perplexed and regretful by this decision,” said President Moon as he was presiding over an emergency meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) on May 25. The meeting lasted for one hour and started at 12:00 a.m. that day. The meeting was held immediately after President Trump released his letter that informs North Korean leader Kim Jong Un that he would call off the scheduled U.S.-North Korea summit. 

President Moon said, “Denuclearization and a permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula is a historic assignment that cannot be abandoned or delayed. The sincerity of the affected parties who have been working to deal with problems has not changed, though.” 

“It’s hard to resolve sensitive and challenging diplomatic issues with this current method of communications. We hope that the leaders will resolve problems through direct and close dialogue,” he added. 

In the letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, President Trump wrote, “We greatly appreciate your time, patience and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties. I was very much looking forward to being there with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting.” 

“Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place,” he wrote. 

He continued, “I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.” 

President Trump, however, remained open to a possible summit in the future, as he wrote, “Someday, I look very much forward to meeting you. If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write.” 

Korea.net