182011_yna_limHJ_L1.jpg

Lim Hyojun celebrates after winning the men’s 1,500 m final in the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, at the Gangneung Ice Arena on Feb. 10.

Korea won its first gold medal on Feb. 10 in men’s 1,500 m short track speed skating at the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics. 

Lim Hyojun won the men’s 1,500 m final with a new Olympic record at the Gangneung Ice Arena, bringing the first gold medal to his country. 

With the eight competitors, including Korea’s Hwang Daeheon, Lim began the race with Hwang in the fifth and sixth posts in order to maintain his pace.

When nine laps were left, Lim made his move to the front, which led to a fierce struggle to win the top spot between Hwang and Sjinkie Knegt from the Netherlands. 

182011_yna_limHJ_L2.jpg

Lim Hyojun (left) sprints ahead during the men’s 1,500 m final in the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, at the Gangneung Ice Arena on Feb. 10.

Although Hwang could not to finish the race, as he fell with only two laps to go, Lim maintained his position and crossed the finish line with a new Olympic record of 2:10.485. 

Lim was followed by Knegt and then Semen Elistratov from Russia with times of 2:10.555 and 2:10.687, respectively. 

After the race, Lim said in an interview that, “With only one lap left, I couldn’t believe that I was in first place in the race, but I ran as it was do-or-die.”

“This medal is meaningful as it’s the first gold medal for Korea,” he said.

“My coaches and fellow athletes are the ones who led me to the highest step on the podium,” said Lim. 

182011_yna_limHJ_L3.jpg

Lim Hyojun (center) waves to the crowd after winning the men’s 1,500 m final in the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, at the Gangneung Ice Arena in Gangneung on Feb. 10.