Kislova-Evgeniya_PROFILE.jpg

The number of non-Korean residents, not travelers, in Korea is reportedly about 1,569,470, one online article says. At first, there're things that non-Koreans think weird about Korea, but later enjoy about life there. Today, however, I want to talk about things that non-Koreans don't like, but which they have to get used to if they choose to live in Korea.

First, a country's cuisine is important when living in the country. If you don't like the food, your life there will be tough, I believe. One of the first things you might think of about Korean cuisine is that it's spicy. This is because Koreans enjoy and eat spicy food quite frequently. Non-Koreans who don't eat spicy foods, therefore, have to get used to asking at restaurants for their foods to be served with less red pepper. If you're a non-Korean and vegetarian, things will be even tougher for you. At just about every restaurant, you can rarely find dishes without meat or fish. Moreover, you'll face Koreans looking at you differently when you ask for your dish to be served without meat or fish. Then, they will still serve your dish with meat or fish, in spite of your order since they don't understand people who don't eat meat. If you're a non-Korean vegetarian in Korea, don't be bothered and just get used to it. 

Second, I want to talk about language. Though learning Korean might be difficult for non-Koreans, you'd better learn Korean since most Koreans don't speak English and you'll want to enjoy your life in Korea. 

Learning Korean will help you understand Korea better. Koreans use or don't use respectful terms by age or position. Speaking in respectful terms to one's friends just because he is one year older looks weird to non-Koreans, who don't really care about their friend's age or position. Still, you'd better get used to using respectful terms when you study Korean since it's a linguistic custom that you must follow. 

Third, look around and see the Korean houses and apartments. Not many people live in traditional Korean Hanok houses these days. Nonetheless, all modern Korean houses have one thing in common: an under floor heating system that uses hot water, ondol, instead of a central air heating system. You still need to wear warm clothes when you go to sleep, though.

Even nowadays, some Koreans don't sleep in raised beds. This is why you say thank you to the host, instead of saying that you don't want to sleep on the floor when you visit any Korean family.

Fourth, Korea has one of the best Internet infrastructures in the world. You can connect to the Internet at any time and at any place. However, you'll need to sign in if you want to use data or just visit any website. Most non-Koreans who don't have an account will have to get used to wandering around and looking for free wireless Internet access. 

Lastly, I want to talk about smells in Korea. I've heard that the first impression of a country is when you land and smell the different air. In general, most smells are from food or car emissions, but in Korea, it's from garlic. Korean cuisine uses a lot of garlic and Koreans who eat Korean food also smell like garlic. I'm not talking about whether the smell is good or bad. I'm saying that non-Koreans can smell something different and they may feel that the different smell is weird. This is why I'd recommend non-Koreans to get used to the smell. 

These five things I've mentioned that non-Koreans have to get used to are not the most serious matters, but they may require some effort to get used to, or to just accept, and to not think too seriously about. 

Most of all, however, one thing that non-Koreans will have to get used to is the locals' attitude, words and behavior toward you, as a non-Korean or non-Asian, will be different. You'll encounter people staring at you or ignoring you just because you're not Korean, and getting used to this idea that you are a non-Korean will be the most important thing during your stay in Korea.