A limited edition of commemorative medals celebrating the career of figure skating sensation Kim Yuna, the “Queen of Figure Staking,” went on sale on April 21. 

The Korea Minting, Security Printing and ID Card Operating Corp. (KOMSCO) released one line of gold medals, two lines of silver medals and one line of white bronze medals to mark the 24-year-old star’s retirement from the sport earlier this year after the Sochi Winter Olympics. 

The Korea Minting, Security Printing and ID Card Operating Corp. (KOMSCO) releases four series of commemorative medals in honor of retired figure skater Kim Yuna on April 21. (photo courtesy of Poongsan Hwadong)

The Korea Minting, Security Printing and ID Card Operating Corp. (KOMSCO) releases four series of commemorative medals in honor of retired figure skater Kim Yuna on April 21. (photo courtesy of Poongsan Hwadong)

All four of the commemorative medal series feature a portrait of Kim and a laurel on the front, signifying her championships, with the words, “Figure Skating Legend Yuna Kim,” inscribed around the edge in English. 

On the reverse side, the gold and silver medals have an image of the figure skater performing above her signature. Around the edge are listed some of the achievements Kim obtained throughout her career, “Grand Slam - All-Podium and Figure Queen,” explaining that Kim ended on the podium in every competition she ever entered. 

The two lines of silver medals differ only in their size and are adorned with the same design features.

On the reverse of the white bronze medal, there is an image of Kim waving to the crowd against the backdrop of a fluttering national flag, along with the words in Korean, “Thank you. You are the true queen.” The reverse of the white bronze series also has, “Grand Slam - All-Podium and Figure Queen,” written in English around the edge. 

Kim_Yuna_Commemorative_Medals_02.jpg
Commemorative medals for figure skating star Kim Yuna feature the Olympian in action on the ice, along with the words, “Grand Slam - All-Podium and Figure Queen,” explaining some of the achievements Kim has earned throughout her career. (photo courtesy of Kim’s official Facebook page)

Commemorative medals for figure skating star Kim Yuna feature the Olympian in action on the ice, along with the words, “Grand Slam - All-Podium and Figure Queen,” explaining some of the achievements Kim has earned throughout her career. (photo courtesy of Kim’s official Facebook page)

KOMSCO held an unveiling ceremony on April 28 where Kim was wearing a yellow ribbon pinned to her lapel as a token of her support for the families and victims of the recent ferry accident off the southwestern coast. “All my thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost their lives in this tragedy,” Kim first said, before she went on to talk about the commemorative medals. 

She explained that, “I’m so grateful for these series of medals. I can see words embossed around the edge recognizing my career accomplishments, such as ‘All-Podium.’ I’d like to express my sincere thanks for your support. I will keep doing my best in my retirement.” 

The white bronze series of commemorative medals is released on April 21 celebrating retired figure skater Kim Yuna's career. The reverse side features a picture of Kim waving to the crowd in front of a national flag, with the words, “Thank you. You are the true queen,” inscribed in Korean. (photo courtesy of Kim’s official Facebook page)

The white bronze series of commemorative medals is released on April 21 celebrating retired figure skater Kim Yuna's career. The reverse side features a picture of Kim waving to the crowd in front of a national flag, with the words, “Thank you. You are the true queen,” inscribed in Korean. (photo courtesy of Kim’s official Facebook page)

By Sohn JiAe
Korea.net Staff Writer
jiae5853@korea.kr

[Source: korea.net]