Korean literature shone in the spotlight at the 43rd London Book Fair held from April 8 to April 10. Korea was the fair's "market focus" this year, or guest of honor, under the slogan, "Books opening the mind, doors opening the future." Some 25,000 people from the publishing industry, covering 114 nations and 1,500 companies, attended the event. 

Government and publishing industry officials, as well as people from culture and arts circles, took part the opening ceremony, including Korean Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yoo Jinryong, British Minister for Sport, Tourism and Equalities Helen Grant, London Book Fair Director Jacks Tomas, British Council Chairman Vernon Ellis and Publishers Association Chief Executive Richard Mollet. 

london-140411-1.jpg

The 43rd London Book Fair is held at Earls Court in London. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

The 43rd London Book Fair is held at Earls Court in London. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

In his congratulatory remarks, Minister Yoo said, "With Korea taking part in the book fair as its 'market focus,' I hope that Korea and Britain will be able to have closer ties together and expand bilateral exchanges in the publishing industry, an industry which is the origin of culture and creativity." 

London Book Fair Director Jacks Tomas said, "I hope that Korean books and literature will be introduced to readers through all the exchanges and events taking place inside and outside the London Book Fair. On behalf of our partners, I would like to say that we are very happy that Korea can take part in our journey." 

Officials from both countries admired the books of the ten participating Korean authors and toured the "Art of Printing" exhibit being held on the sidelines of the book fair. There were 50 types of printed books on display that show the history of Korean printing, as well as a history of prints that include metal and wooden designs. There is also a copy of the “Mugu jeonggwang dae daranigyeong” Buddhist script, or the "Great Dharani Sutra of Immaculate and Pure Light." It is the world’s oldest existing wood block print made around the early eighth century. The exhibit will continue for two months. 

london-140411-3.jpg

Korean Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yoo Jinryong (fourth from right, front row), British Minister for Sport, Tourism and Equalities Helen Grant (third from right), and London Book Fair Director Jacks Tomas (second from right) pose for a photograph during the opening ceremony of the Korean pavilion at the London Book Fair. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

Korean Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yoo Jinryong (fourth from right, front row), British Minister for Sport, Tourism and Equalities Helen Grant (third from right), and London Book Fair Director Jacks Tomas (second from right) pose for a photograph during the opening ceremony of the Korean pavilion at the London Book Fair. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

Earlier on April 7, Minister Yoo had an interview with the British literature magazine Literary Review. "Korean literature reflects the country's historical background and cultural values and plays an important role in making the true side of Korea understood around the world," he said. 

Minister Yoo also met Paul Gudgin, director of the City of London Festival, and asked for his cooperation on the successful hosting of a Korean cultural and arts fair to be held as part of the festival from June 22 to July 17. The title of the festival this year is "Seoul in the City." The ministry intends to present not only classical music but also plays, traditional Korean music, dance, traditional martial arts and B-boy performances at the festival. 

Ten Korean authors participated in the book fair

Authors Lee Moon-yeol, Lee Seung-u, Hwang Suk-young, Kim In-suk, Shin Kyung-sook, Kim In-sook, Kim Young-ha and Han Kang, as well as poet Kim Hye-soon, children’s author Hwang Sun-mi and cartoonist Yoon Tae-ho, all took part in the book fair. They had an interview with British media outlets, including the Guardian, the Telegraph and BBC Radio, and met readers in four British cities including London, Cambridge and Edinburgh. 

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, (left) talks with Hwang Sun-mi at the Korean pavilion at the London Book Fair in Earls Court, London. (photo: Yonhap News)

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, (left) talks with Hwang Sun-mi at the Korean pavilion at the London Book Fair in Earls Court, London. (photo: Yonhap News)

Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yoo Jinryong (left) attends the London Book Fair. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Yoo Jinryong (left) attends the London Book Fair. (photo courtesy of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism)

On April 9, Hwang Sun-mi had the honor of being chosen as the "author of the day" at the book fair. The honor goes to only one writer each day during the three-day event. Her picture book, "The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly," topped the bestseller chart at the Waterloo Station branch of Foyles, a bookstore, in London on March 30. "The Investigation" by Lee Jung-myung also became a bestseller at the Trafalgar Square branch of Waterstones, another bookstore, on March 6.

"It is amazing that 'The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly' became a bestseller. I had to see it for myself," Hwang said. "Most of the 30 people I met at a book signing in Cambridge have read my book and asked very in-depth questions about it. I was surprised." 

Lee Jung-myung, author of "Painter of the Wind" and "Tree With Deep Roots,” held a signing event at Goldsboro Books in Cecil Court in London on April 7. Lee signed each of the 250 copies of "The Investigation" over half an hour as readers waited in line.

"It's a beautiful work and I thought it could become a modern classic, so I asked for the book signing," said David Headley, owner of the bookstore. 

By Limb Jae-un
Korea.net Staff Writer 
jun2@korea.kr 

london-140411-1.jpg